Korean Snack Review, part V

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting things. We were away in Seoul last weekend, and this week there's been a schedule change so we are working multiple overtime classes. On the bright side, we took a lot of photos and videos in Seoul and we're hoping to get some posts together over the next weekend. 

For now, please enjoy the latest snack reviews! ☺


Darda: Gourmet Popcorn, Garlic Butter  

This might seem like a boring pick, and I understand, but I couldn't resist this one. We were interested to try some garlic butter-flavored popcorn, because garlic+butter is an American staple that I sorely miss. Though garlic is easy to find, butter is very expensive. A single stick of butter here is around W 8,000-9,000 which is like $7-8. It's something we've decided we will just give up while we are here. Needless to say, butter flavoring here is a far, far cry from the real deal. So much so that these were just unpalatable for me.

Flavor: fake butter
Texture: popcorn

Sam's thoughts: These were good, they tasted okay.
Final thoughts: 😖 I am done with butter flavored things


Orion: Oh! Potato Gratin  

In a similar vein to my desire for garlic butter, I am always craving cheese. It seems like Koreans don't use a lot of cheese in their everyday life. And even when they do have cheese it is in the form of mozzarella on pizza or some other mild, blandly flavored cheese. There's no sharp cheddar or jack cheeses to be found. I'm a little sad to admit it, but we even paid around W 8,000 just for a container of powdery, Parmesan cheese to add to pasta. Sigh.
Unfortunately, to call these cheesey potato sticks would be a serious insult to cheese. It's a little sour, a little sweet, not very savory, and overall not what I was expecting to taste. The crunchiness to the chip was appreciated, but I could honestly only eat one.

Sam's thoughts: I liked them
My thoughts: I am done with cheese-flavored things..


Halloween candy: Korean-style  
  These three candies were given out to students during our market day celebration on October 30th. We also got to try them. They are cola pop rocks, chocolate wafer, and a snickers-type candy. While not super exotic or anything, we wanted to share with you guys what the students liked to get for "trick or treating" here.

Our favorite: New biscuit with chocolate jjang (chocolate wafer). It was delicious, light, and crispy.

Thanks for reading, everyone! 
Coming soon: Videos and more posts this weekend ☺

Comments